OTTAWA, ONTARIO, October 27, 2016 – Skills/Compétences Canada is officially launching National Skilled Trades and Technology Week on November 2, at Red River College, Notre Dame Campus in Winnipeg, Manitoba
What: Launch of National Skilled Trades and Technology Week
This event generates awareness about the opportunities in skilled trade and technology sectors for students, educators and industry. Attendees, including students from local schools, will participate in interactive Try-A-Trade® and Technology activities hosted by educators and industry experts.
- The Honourabe Ian Wishart, Minister of Education and Training
- Sherry Holmes from HGTV’s Holmes Makes it Right
- John Oates, President of Skills/Compétences Canada
- Paul Vogt, President and CEO of Red River College
- Nina Widmer, SCC alumni, SCNC 2014 Brick Masonry silver medalist
- Geoff Frodsham, CEO of Princess Auto
When: Wednesday, November 2, 2016
- 7:45 – 9:00 am: VIP networking breakfast sponsored by Princess Auto
- 9:05 – 9:45 am: Official program with keynote speakers
- 9:45 – 11:30 am: Students (Group 1) will participate in interactive Try-A-Trade® and Technology activities
- 11:30 – 1:30 pm: Red River College Pep Rally, where approximately 200 college students will have the opportunity to visit the Try-A-Trade® and Technology activities
- 1:30 – 1:45 pm: Welcome from Skills/Compétences Canada
- 1:45 – 3:00 pm: Students (Group 2) will participate in interactive Try-A-Trade® and Technology activities
Red River College, Notre Dame Campus, 2055 Notre Dame Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Media are asked to confirm their attendance in advance by contacting Michèle Rogerson at the coordinates below.
About Skills/Compétences Canada: Skills/Compétences Canada was founded in 1989 as a national, not‐for‐profit organization that works with employers, educators, labour groups and governments to promote skilled trades and technology careers among Canadian youth. Headquartered in Ottawa, Ontario, Skills/Compétences Canada is the Canadian Member organization of WorldSkills International. For more information, visit www.skillscanada.com or call 877-754-5226.
About Princess Auto: Princess Auto is where “Figure-It-Outers” shop to equip garages and workshops for any project. They come in with ideas, or a challenge to solve and leave with solutions. Participants will be taught the correct procedures to crimp a fitting on to a hydraulic hose. They will be using a hydraulic crimper, caliper, hose cleaning gun and other tools to complete the assembly. For more information, visit: www.princessauto.com.
About Red River College: Red River College is Manitoba’s largest institute of applied learning and the province’s only polytechnic, offering more than 200 full- and part-time degree, diploma and certificate programs. RRC graduates are work-ready and possess the skills required to quickly become leaders in their chosen fields.
At RRC, our aim is to meet and exceed the job market’s evolving needs, by arming our students with the knowledge, experience and confidence required to succeed in today’s multi-skilled workforce. To achieve this goal, the College employs a committed staff and faculty whose members are dedicated to ensuring each student’s individual success. For more information, visit: www.rrc.ca.
Michèle Rogerson, 613-266-4771, email@example.com.